Over the holidays I wanted to make an easy app (definitely my favorite phrase) that would be a crowd pleaser. I’m SUCH a sucker for anything that involves butter, bacon or cheese and so these little goodies satisfied all my cravings. Perfect snack for a hungry crowd, and the key word here: easy!
P R E P
Usually I get irritated and impatient when recipes require things to “soften” before cooking because a) I always forget and b) I end up winging it and then it takes 10x the amount of time if would usually take if I had just followed directions. The good news is that the cream cheese required for this dish does NOT need to be taken out of the fridge to soften (phew). Definitely start your prep with getting the shrooms ready.
Next, get your bacon cooked and chopped. Crispy is key.
In a small bowl, mix Parmesan and breadcrumbs so you’re all set for the stuffing. Then snag your butter, garlic and cream cheese.
What you’ll need
- A cookie sheet and foil.
- Roughly 20 mushrooms. Try for medium sized if possible.
- 1/2 lb of bacon. Cooked and chopped. YUM.
- 1 tablespoon of butter.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced.
- 8 oz cream cheese.
- 1/4 cup of breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese.
Total prep time: 15 minutes (depending how glacially slow you are at chopping mushrooms).
Total cook time: 12-15 minutes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grab a cookie sheet and cover fully with foil.
- Remove stems from the mushrooms, and place the mushroom heads aside for filling.
- Chop up the stems–these will be added soon, so set them aside separate from the mushroom heads.
- Melt the butter in a pan and add the minced garlic and chopped up stems. Let cook for about 1 minute until your kitchen is soaked in all that garlic-butter-goodness.
- Add the cream cheese and a lil’ salt and pepper. Stir until combined and melted, then remove from heat and add the cooked bacon.
- Mix breadcrumbs and parmesan together (if you didn’t already do this during your prep time.
- Place a spoonful of the mixture in each mushroom head, and then top with the parmesan-breadcrum mixture. I did half my shrooms with the bacon crumbled on top, and half with just the breadcrumbs on top so you can see the difference in presentation!
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. As a warning, the mushrooms will leak out some moisture so the foil on your cookie sheet is KEY.
- Once these lil’ guys look golden brown you can take them out. Beware that they’ll be hot so let them cool for about 5 minutes.
POST COOKING NOTES
After thoughts, nutritional information and how to store!
- The one thing I’ll say about this app is that 1) they’ll go fast and 2) they’re best fresh out of the oven. I wouldn’t recommend storing them or making them ahead of time since the mushrooms can get a little soggy.
- A lot of times you’ll have friends/guests who really “hate” mushrooms. Mushrooms WITH bacon and cheese is completely different than just your regular ol’ shroom, but know your audience and what they’ll go for.
- Each of these tiny pieces of heaven are just about 100 calories, so get after it.
- I happen to think bacon goes great with beer, so grab your favorite brew and go to town on these mushrooms!
Enjoy! If you end up making these, feel free to tag me on Instagram (cayhay1351) or use the hashtag #basickneads!