Just typing this is making me drool all over again for these little babes. At first I thought these would be a good appetizer, but since I’m a major breakfast gal I thought, “Why not make these for breakfast?” I love to impress a crowd, and these bites did not disappoint. They also make for great leftovers and freeze fairly well, but who are you kidding? You and your guests will eat them all in one sitting, guaranteed.
P R E P
The prep for this is so easy you’ll even have time to make a batch of Bloody Mary’s before your friends come over. Minimal chopping involved and if you saw “mashed potatoes” and assumed you’d be peeling and boiling potatoes, you are in luck! I cheat big time and use instant potatoes because 1) I absolutely despise peeling potatoes and 2) you will want to save the time and manual labor making legit mashed potatoes. However, if you’re an overachiever or want to be authentic, by all means…mash your own potatoes.
The only thing I’d consider “prep” for this is making the bacon ahead of time!
What you’ll need
- Muffin tin, sprayed with pam. Crucial so that they don’t stick!
- 1 large bowl.
- 1 24 ounce packet of mashed potatoes; roughly 2-3 cups. You can find these usually within the same aisle as pasta in your local grocery store. Pick whichever one you want (no need to be picky about brands), but make sure to get just regular “buttered” potatoes. There’s a ton of flavor with these so you won’t want to mask that with a flavored potato mix).
- 4 eggs.
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese. Keep a little extra for garnishing!
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese.
- 6 slices of cooked bacon, chopped/crumbled. Keep a little for garnishing!
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder.
- 3 tablespoons of chopped chives.
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper. I LOVE a good kick, but if you have wimpy guests stick to the 1/4 tsp.
Total Prep Time: 20 minutes (not including the cooked bacon)
Servings: 12 bites (roughly 6 servings)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. If you haven’t already, start cooking up the bacon while your oven pre-heats.
- In a large bowl, combine alllllll your ingredients.
- Spray your muffin tin (if you haven’t already) with Pam or any other non-stick spray. Divide mixture evenly among your pan.
- Stick those babes in the oven and cook for around 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Gently remove each lil’ bite (I tend to use a knife to help lift them out).
- Serve up with a dollop of sour cream, chives, bacon, cheese…anything you/your guests would like. Enjoy!
POST COOKING NOTES
- These babes work great for a crowd, but they’re also just as good as leftovers. You can keep these in your fridge for up to 4 days in an air-tight container.
- I wouldn’t recommend freezing OR making ahead of time. Something about the freshness of the potatoes is hard to beat.
If you end up making this feel free to tag me on Instagram (cayhay1351) or use the hashtag #basickneads. I’d love to hear what you think!